Friday, January 30, 2009

Kayla's new port-a-cath!


Tuesday Kayla couldn't get chemo because her white blood cells and her hemoglobin were down. So her doctor decided to make her port-a-cath surgery appointment. Jimmy already has one so I wasn't too worried. So we made the appointment the surgeon said that if her levels were not high enough, that she would not go ahead with the surgery.
Wednesday we got Kayla a new bike so that she could work off some of the weight that she had gained when she was on steroids.
She was so excited to ride it and couldn't wait to get her pads and helmet on. She did about 50 laps around the patio before she needed a rest.

Today she got her port a cath. We spent the night in Loma Linda b/c Kayla's surgery time was 6 AM. From my grandma's house it takes 2 hours to get to Loma Linda. That means that we would have had to get up at 3 to get out of the house on time. So anyway we spent the night in LL and got to the hospital in time. They needed to test her blood to make sure that her levels were high enough to do surgery and we had to wait an hour and a half for the results. Five minutes before the surgery time they said that it was a go.
Kayla now has her port-a-cath. No more Picc line!!!!! woo hoo!
She is very sore and doesn't want us to touch her or help her do anything. She should fell better in about a week or so.
(the orange stuff on her in the picture is iodine)

4 comments:

Jillian said...

Im glad she was able to get a porta cath. Vanessa has a picc line in her arm... but it has worked out well. A majority of the time the picc line gets infected and has to be removed, and then have another one put it, but vanessa has been lucky and has had the same one for 8 months!

Except for her counts to be too low often. WE learned that with Vanessa. We have been battling for hte last 3 weeks to get her into the hospital for her LAST chemo treatment!

One thing that helps to get the counts back up is Physical Exercise so the bike you bought her is GREAT! However, if she does too much it can bring it back down... That was what vanessa's doctor told us.

Glad to hear things are going well!

Amanda said...

yay for Kayla. She is looking great. The bike is adorable! I bet it feels great for her to get out and ride it.

Were thinking of you all!

Kristin said...

I'm glad everything worked out. Kaila saw the bike and screamed that she needed one. BRAT!

Kayla looks beautiful, she does look like she's lost some weight. yay!

BTW I saw Jimmys pants. giggle they are cute!

Anonymous said...

Hello... you don't know me, but my name is Megan. I live in Redlands and read about your family's story in the Sun. A few of my friends and I would like to help out by raising money at our schools/colleges and maybe work places... we've been following your blog the past couple of weeks and we really feel like this is something tangible that we could help with. With your consent of course :) My email is megkmatz@yahoo.com ... if you'd like us to help, please email me, I can give you my info and phone number as well as that of my friends.

I hope Kayla and your husband (and you!) are doing well :)

-Megan M.