Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chemo day 7/29

Today was supposed to be a "long" chemo day.
So in preparation I got coloring books together, crayons, her fav. blanket and some waters. I put it all in her backpack on wheels. She likes to pull it around.
I made sure that I got a few magazines and even brought a Harry Potter book in case I ran out of stuff to read.
I didn't sleep well at all last night.
I woke up pretty much every hour on the hour. I was already awake when my mom came in to wake me up.
I was so tired that I had the shakes.
Another wonderful thing about chemo day is waking Kayla up. I always remind her the night before that she will be getting up early and to try her hardest to not be in a bad mood.
Mom dressed her while I got dressed.
We brushed our teeth, I heated up her cheeseburger and we were off.
Yes, you read that right. This has become a routine. She really likes cheeseburgers, especially for breakfast. And since McD's doesn't make them in the morning we have to make sure that we pick some up the night before.
Anyway, we got to the office a little early and we were the first ones there. I like being the first.
I got Kayla some funyuns and then she fell asleep.
Around 10:30 I finally got up to ask if her counts had come back b/c they couldn't start the chemo w/o knowing what her counts were.
The chemo that she was supposed to get was an hour long chemo through the IV. Then AraC and then 4 hours of fluids. They also wanted to do a spinal tap but there was no way in the whole wide world I was going to listen to her whine and cry about food.
Well her counts came back and her ANC is only 422. They will not administer chemo unless the ANC is 750.
So we get to go back next week and try all over again.
Only this time we have to get up even earlier b/c Jimmy has his PET scan at 7:30 so he has to drop us off at 7. awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with those long days. We all skip breakfast when we go in! This next week we have to do spinal tap and Ara-c, but still no breakfast! We had the long day, last Thursday.

I saw Funyuns the other day and thought of you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.


See More Details